Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

MineCraft Birthday Party

Hello there! This new year organization stuff is pretty awesome. I've set aside some time for me to blog during the week, and it's working! I'm actually sitting down and doing it. :o) Of course, school starts back up tomorrow and life goes back to it's usual busy-ness, so we'll see how well I can keep up with this schedule then. 

Anyway, I promised a little while ago that I would share some pictures from Michelle's 11th birthday party, so here it is. As the title says, it was a MineCraft theme, and for those of you who have no idea what that is, it is a computer/video game where you build things. I kind of see it as a mix of Legos and Survivor in one game. You're given basic materials and you have to use them to build stuff to protect yourself from the bad guys. It has distinct graphics in that it is pixelated. Everything is a block, or made up of blocks. 

I would love to give credit where credit is due for the many things I printed off for this party, but to be honest, there are so many resources on the web, and I pulled things from LOTS of different websites that I can't remember what I got from where. If you simply google, or go to Pinterest and look for MineCraft party, you will find a ton of ideas and resources. The hard part was narrowing down to things I thought would work for us. 

Here was our buffet.That's the cake in the middle.
The green background is just a disposable table cloth that we hung from the ceiling to the half wall of the stair well. This gave us a backdrop for the buffet. 
I think I ordered the grass stuff from Amazon. It was fun to play with. :o) The decorations in the middle of the table I got from Pixel Papercraft. It was super easy. You find the item you want, print it, cut it out, fold it up and glue it. Because most of the items are all cubes, they're pretty easy to assemble. Oh, and it's FREE. 
 Here's another shot of the buffet. It was pretty easy to find food items to match many of the items used in the game (chicken, melon, strawberries, apples, etc).
 Michelle made these to give to her friends in their goody bags. They represent different items or creatures in the game. My personal favorite was the cake on the bottom. :o)
Our son, Nick gave this cardboard Steve head to Michelle a while ago, and it was the perfect blind fold for our game of pin the tail on the Ender Dragon. We just made the girls put it on backwards. For those who don't know, Steve is the main character in the game.
No, I didn't remove all the coats and shoes to make the photos look nice. Oh well. This is real life at our house.
 This was another one of our games, although they didn't end up using the Steve head after this photo because they couldn't see a thing out of it. We cut a Creeper face out of a box and spray painted it green. My original idea was to make bean bags for the girls to toss into the holes, but never got around to making them. Michelle pulled out her nerf bow to use instead. I think it worked better than the beanbags would have.
So, this was the cake. It was kind of crazy to make. I ganached the square cake like I usually do before covering it in fondant, but this time I covered in in sheets of wafer paper that I printed from the Pixel Papercraft blog. I simply re-sized the images to fit  the cake, printed them and "glued" them to the ganache with piping gel. Next time I would definitely use more gel around the edges as it began to peel toward the end of the party. Everything on top, except the tree, was fondant covered in more printed wafer paper. The tree was rice crispy treat. It was quite fiddly to wrap the paper around the fondant, but probably a lot easier than hand painting or piecing little tiny squares of fondant. I even stuck a birthday candle in the dynamite for effect.
 The girls seemed to like it. :o)
Here's a shot of some of the characters before I put them on the cake. 

I have to share this last shot with you. This was the first problem Michelle had for math on the Monday after her party. We got a good laugh out of it. Michelle is still wondering where her gift is from Steve. :o)
Well, I better close this here. I've got a bit more work to do at my desk before heading off to bed. 

Till next time...
God's love and blessings!

No comments: