Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Through the House on Thursday-Kid's bathroom

One of the benefits of being retired from the military and owning our own house is that we get to make changes and renovations whenever we want (read "can afford"). So I will use Thursdays as a day to take you through our house to see how I organize things and what kind of changes we are making.

This week I'm going to show you a quick update I did to the girl's bathroom. We originally painted the room blue and had a cute teddy bear shower curtain. That was pretty much all the decorating we had in there. It's a tiny room and we were on a tight budget. A little while ago, Angel found a pretty bathroom set at Walmart. She loved it because it was her favorite shades of blue and brown and had elegant flourishes on it. We were even more thrilled with it when we opened the shower curtain and found it had scripture verses printed on it. How cool is that? Angel took one of the left-over cream color paints we had, watered it down and sponged it over the walls to help tone down the blue that was in there. It looks good, but I think we need to repaint the ceiling cream or put up some trim molding to separate the two different blues.

Anyway, on to the recent updates to the room. Stampin' Up! has a line of wall decals called Decor' Elements and I found these butterfly and flourish ones in a chocolate color. I thought they would fit perfectly in there. Thankfully, the bathroom walls don't have that orange peel texture that the rest of our walls have, so these would work.

They were super easy to put up. I simply cut out the different pictures, taped them to the wall to see where I wanted them, peeled off the backing paper and then used my Pampered Chef stone scraper to smooth the decals onto the wall. Hopefully, when it's time to change this room around they will be as easy to remove as they were to put up. :o) I liked how they came out, but I would definitely change two things about them if I could. 1) I should have ordered the smaller size butterflies as these are really too large for such a small space 2) The chocolate color is really too dark of a brown, it's almost black, but they only come in chocolate or white and I didn't think the white would match with all the cream accents on the bathroom accessories. Come to think of it though, the toilet and sink are white and eventually, we're going to get a cabinet for over the toilet and it will probably be white, so the white butterflies would have matched fine. Oh well, maybe I'll change it around later, we'll see.


Look, that's two posts in a row with me in a picture! ;o)

I think I will close here. I just realized Michelle's birthday is coming up fast and I need to get some invitations made and the party planned.

Till next time
God's love and blessings

No comments: